Tangy and flavorful with a sweet twist, this squash & apples chicken dish is seasoned to perfection. Coming together in less than half an hour, this is the perfect low histamine weeknight meal.
About this recipe
Grain-Free Meal: while this tastes great with a side of potatoes, altogether this squash & apples chicken is a meal in its own right, with no additions needed.
Great for Beginners. Luckily this recipe needs very few substitutions and even less babysitting, since both apples & squash are quite forgiving of potential burning and take great to caramelizing.
Seasonal Fall Produce: with both butternut squash and apples of all kinds available abundantly at this time of year, this is the perfect side to make & freeze ahead each fall.
Chicken Tenders: you can use any cut of chicken, but the time and temperature in this recipe are tuned to chicken tenders, which go great with all the flavors going on in this recipe.
Butternut Squash: what's squash and apples without the star of the show? This bright orange vegetable is a rich source of vitamins and minerals, and sweetens up beautifully in the oven. Much like my squash soup, this recipe takes advantage of that delicious oven-baked caramelization.
Apple: these are the other core of your dish (pardon the pun!). Since the skins of the apples contain an abundance of histamine-fighting nutrients, I like to leave those on, but you can peel them off. I like granny smith apples plus either pink lady or fuji apples, because I like the balance of crisp and sweet, but you can use any sturdy varieties.
Fresh Herbs: these add important plant nutrients as well as more complexity to the overall flavor of the dish. I like thyme, sage, or rosemary.
How to make squash & apples chicken: step-by-step instructions
Step 1. Prep your squash, apple, toum or garlic, herbs, and almonds if using, and then preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
Step 2. Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them until all the squash, apples, and tenders are evenly-coated in garlic, oil, and spice.
Step 3. Place the entire mixture on a silpat or aluminum foil on a large baking tray, then bake in your preheated oven on convection for 11-13 minutes. The chicken tenders should reach an internal temperature of 165°F (75°C), then your dish is done.
Recipe notes & tips
Fully Cooking the Chicken: it's important to cater the cooking time to how long your chicken will need, and cut your squash and apple pieces in the proper size for the cook time of the meat. Tenders like mine will fully cook in about 11-12 minutes, but bone-in thighs need upwards of 20 minutes. The vegetables will be fine with cooking longer or shorter, so if you buy them pre-chopped, no worries.
Freezing Instructions: if you want to freeze your leftovers, consider putting them in single-serve glass containers that are easy to reheat in the toaster oven or the microwave, to save on dishwasher space and reduce plastic usage. Reheat at 300°F (150°C) for about 10 minutes.
What to eat with squash & apples chicken
- Roasted Garlic Asparagus
- Low Histamine French Fries
- Crispy Garlic-Ginger Kale
- Low Histamine Brussels Sprouts
- Za'atar Crispy Baked Potatoes
Homemade Squash Apples Chicken Recipe Card
As always, if you like the recipe, I really appreciate a review or comment!
Butternut Squash & Apples Chicken (Sheetpan Recipe)
- 1 pound chicken tenders or breasts
- 2 Cups butternut squash cubed
- 1 Cup apple cubed (1 medium sturdy apple)
- 1 Tablespoon mustard toum alt. 3 cloves minced garlic, 1 teaspoon oil of choice, 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 Tablespoon oil of choice
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh herbs thyme, sage, or rosemary are recommended
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ Cup chopped almonds optional, for texture
- Prep your squash, apple, toum or garlic, herbs, and almonds if using, and then preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them until all the squash, apples, and tenders are evenly-coated in garlic, oil, and spice.
- Place the entire mixture on a silpat or aluminum foil on a large baking tray, then bake in your preheated oven on convection for 12-14 minutes. The chicken tenders should reach an internal temperature of 165°F (75°C), then your dish is done.